Please join me at my new location bryankyle.com

Monday, April 23, 2007

Ergonomics

Today I'd like to take some time to say a special thank-you to Logitech for creating the Marble Mouse. Without it I wouldn't be able to be a programmer anymore.

In the summer of 2005 I noticed a pain in my right wrist. I bought a wrist brace to help stabilize my wrist, and it worked great at night, when I had a hard time orienting my wrist in a neutral position while I slept, but it was too bulky to be able to use all the time. As the weeks went on it became quite aparent that what I was doing wasn't working and I needed to try something else.

I talked to a few people at work. Some suggested taking a vacation, others said accupuncture. I was in school at the time and couldn't really afford a break, and I'm not a big fan of needles so I thought I'd try accupuncture as a last resort. A few people suggested getting a trackball. I had tried a trackball before and I found them to be horribly inaccurate so I was a little bit skeptical, but I thought I could get used to it.

I peeked over the cubicle wall, and a friend of mine was using the Logitech Marble Mouse. It seemed a little bit odd but because my problem seemed to stem from clicking I figured it'd be a good one to try. (The Marble Mouse is shaped kinda like a mouse, except there's a ball where the buttons should be and the buttons are on the side. You just roll your hand to click).

I have to say, after an hour of using it I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Not only that, but I was reasonably accurate with it too, unlike the thumb style ones I'd used before.

I'm not posting this hoping for free stuff, I'm posting it as one extremely satisfied customer.